SOLD OUT! Thunderbolts Adventure is an overnight gravel adventure in the Barrington Tops designed for competent cyclists who are experienced in long distance riding.
You don’t have be be a superfit racing machine to enter this event, but you do need to:
- Understand how to fuel your body for an extended ride covering over 100 km a day on remote gravel roads
- Be experienced at navigating and following a GPX route
- Have a reasonable level of mechanical know how in case you need to perform running repairs on your bicycle eg, punctures, ripped tyres, broken chains, non-functioning gears.
Is it a race?
No. But kind of. A few will aim for line honours and Strava bragging rights, but most will just enjoy the ride at a sustainable pace and look to team up with a small bunch of riders of similar ability. This is a very social cycling event and you can be sure you’ll go home with some new riding buddies.
Whether you are racing yourself or others there is a chance you could be riding by yourself at times, so it is most important that you come fully prepared and self-sufficient. Better still bring your mates who you normally ride with and you are sure to have a great ride in spectacular country with friends.
Are there checkpoints?
You will need to sign on at the following locations:
- Registration Friday night: The Roundabout Inn, 28 Church St Gloucester
- Event start: Gloucester Bowling Club, Park St, Gloucester
- Stage 1 finish: Victoria Hotel, Moonan Flat
- Stage 2 finish: The Roundabout Inn, Gloucester
What are the route options?
The event is going to be a total of up to 250 kms with approximately 5000 vm of elevation over two days. You’ll traverse the entire Barrington Tops and return to the start point in Gloucester via a mostly remote gravel roads.