How to get to Seal Rocks & the Myall Lakes by car, train, coach or plane.
Getting to Seal Rocks and the Myall Lakes is easy, follow the signs and you can’t miss them.
1. The Lakes Way
From the Pacific Highway exit ramp north of Bulahdelah, the journey to Seal Rocks via The Lakes Way and Seal Rocks Road is 35 km and takes about 30 minutes. It’s a very scenic drive and you’ll pass by Myall Lake and through the village of Bungwahl on your way.
If coming from the north, the journey from Forster CBD down The Lakes Way and Seal Rocks Road is also very scenic. This route to Seal Rocks is 45 km and takes about 50 minutes. You’ll pass by Wallis Lake, the villages of Pacific Palms, Smiths Lake and Bungwahl on your way.
2. For the varied precincts of Myall Lakes National Park:
From the Pacific Highway take:
- Tea Gardens Road to access the Myall River and Bombah Broadwater precincts of the park
- Bombah Point Road to access the Boolambayte and Bombah Broadwater precincts of the park
- Seal Rocks Road to access the Sugarloaf Point to Shelley Beach precinct of the park
There is a vehicle ferry at Bombah Point which provides access across the lake, operating 8am to 6pm daily. Variable fees apply (cash payments only) for pedestrians, motorbikes, cars, caravans, trailers, boat trailers and larger vehicles. Under strong winds the ferry may be closed.
The nearest railway station is Taree which is on the main northern rail line from Sydney to Brisbane. There are several XPT trains per day in both directions.
Download the train and coach timetable here.
The journey by car to Seal Rocks from Taree railway station via Forster is 81 km and takes about one hour 30 minutes.
XPT train – Northbound daily:
- Sydney Central 07.08 / 11.41 / 14.41
- Broadmeadow 09.33 / 14.04 / 17.04
- Dungog 10.43 / 15.15 / 18.11
- Gloucester 11.37 / 16.22 / 19.04
- Wingham 12.27 / 17.12 / 19.53
- Taree 12.40 / 17.25 / 20.08
XPT train – Southbound daily:
- Taree 09.52 / 14.41 / 01.31
- Wingham 10.06 / 14.55 / 01.44
- Gloucester 10.56 / 15.44 / 02.33
- Dungog 12.06 / 16.38 / 03.25
- Broadmeadow 13.19 / 17.52 / 04.28
- Sydney Central 15.44 / 20.12 / 06.50
Private bus companies service this region.
- Newcastle to Taree via Forster, Hawks Nest & Tea Gardens (service #150) NB: The bus stop for this route is at Bungwahl on the Lakes Way, 10km from your destination at Seal Rocks.
- Newcastle to Taree via Forster & The Rock (service #151), download the timetable here. (NB: The bus stop for this route is at Bungwahl on the Lakes Way, 10km from your destination at Seal Rocks)
The nearest public airport is Newcastle which services Jetstar, Qantaslink, Virgin Australia, Regional Express (REX) and Fly Pelican with flights across Australia and seasonally to Auckland. The journey from Newcastle airport to Seal Rocks is 114 km and takes about one hour 20 minutes.
The next-nearest is Taree airport, servicing Regional Express (REX) with flights to/from Grafton and Sydney. The journey from Taree airport to Seal Rocks via Forster is 91 km and takes about one hour 30 minutes. If you instead continue along the Pacific Highway to the southern entrance of the Lakes Way north of Bulahdelah then the journey to Seal Rocks is 114 km and takes about 1 hour 25 minutes.