How to get to Forster & Tuncurry by car, train, coach or plane.
Getting to Forster and Tuncurry is easy, follow the signs and you can’t miss them.
1. The Lakes Way
From the Pacific Highway exit ramp north of Bulahdelah, the journey to Forster-Tuncurry via the Lakes Way is 59 km to Forster and takes about one hour. It’s a very scenic drive and you’ll pass by Myall Lake, Smiths Lake, Wallis Lake and pretty coastal villages on your way. Crossing the bridge over the entrance to Wallis Lake into Tuncurry adds an extra 2 km and less than 5 minutes.
If coming from the north, the journey from the Pacific Highway exit ramp to Foster-Tuncurry via the Lakes Way is 20 km to Tuncurry and takes about 20 minutes. Crossing the bridge over the entrance to Wallis Lake into Forster adds an extra 2 km and less than 5 minutes.
2. Failford Road
If coming from the west (eg. Gloucester) then use the Failford Road exit off the Pacific Highway north of Nabiac. This route from Nabiac to Tuncurry is 21 km and takes about 20 minutes. Add an extra 2 km and 5 minutes for Forster across the bridge.
The nearest railway station is Taree which is on the main northern rail line from Sydney to Brisbane. There are several XPT trains per day in both directions.
Download the train and coach timetable here.
The journey by car from Taree railway station to Forster-Tuncurry is 35 km and takes about 40 minutes.
XPT train – Northbound daily:
- Sydney Central 07.08 / 11.41 / 14.41
- Broadmeadow 09.33 / 14.04 / 17.04
- Dungog 10.43 / 15.15 / 18.11
- Gloucester 11.37 / 16.22 / 19.04
- Wingham 12.27 / 17.12 / 19.53
- Taree 12.40 / 17.25 / 20.08
XPT train – Southbound daily:
- Taree 09.52 / 14.41 / 01.31
- Wingham 10.06 / 14.55 / 01.44
- Gloucester 10.56 / 15.44 / 02.33
- Dungog 12.06 / 16.38 / 03.25
- Broadmeadow 13.19 / 17.52 / 04.28
- Sydney Central 15.44 / 20.12 / 06.50
Private bus companies service this region.
- Newcastle to Taree via Forster, Hawks Nest & Tea Gardens (service #150)
- Newcastle to Taree via Forster and The Rock (service #151)
Download the timetable for these other services for this region:
- Route 309: Taree to Forster via Black Head and Diamond Beach
- Route 310: Taree to Forster
- Route 314: Taree to Old Bar
- Route 315: Taree to Manning Point
- Route 319: Taree to Wingham
- Route 320: Taree to Harrington
- Route 321: Lansdowne to Taree
The nearest public airport is Taree airport, servicing Regional Express (REX) with flights to/from Grafton and Sydney. The journey from Taree airport to Forster-Tuncurry is 45 km and takes about 45 minutes.
The next-nearest airport is Newcastle servicing Jetstar, Qantaslink, Regional Express (REX) and Fly Pelican with flights across Australia and seasonally to Auckland. The journey from Newcastle airport to Forster-Tuncurry (via Failford Road from the Pacific Highway) is 140 km and takes about one hour 40 minutes. Using The Lakes Way route near Bulahdelah, the journey from Newcastle airport to Forster-Tuncurry is 138 km and takes about one hour 50 minutes.